Monday, November 29, 2010

REVIEW: Matched by Ally Condie

Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Pages: 384
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 2nd December 2010
Paperback.

From Amazon
On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her Match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life. Except he’s not. In Cassia’s society, Officials decide who people love. How many children they have. Where they work. When they die. But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own. And that’s when her whole world begins to unravel...

I'm really starting to get into all these dystopian novels! Matched kept me on the edge of my seat with every word I read. Right from the beginning of the novel, I picked up this really interesting vibe. 


For seventeen year-old Cassia Reyes, growing up as member of the Society, which decides the ideal life for each and every citizen,  where your own decisions and wild emotions can only lead to an 'Infraction', is complicated. She's about to be 'Matched' to her ultimate other half for life. Cassia believes that the officials have her best interest at heart, and that everything is fine, perfect even. 


Being Matched by the officials is one of the most important and memorable moments in her life, her match couldn't be more appropriate for her and she knows she doesn't have to worry about a thing..at least until she see's another boy's face flash across the screen, which leads to tons of confusing, unanswered questions and doubts in Cassia's head. 


Questioning the officials is just *not* something that the people of this world would do. It's just not. 
This world is one I would never like to live in. A society wehere everything is controlled by the officals? What is wrong with this picture?! When you think about it, it's quite scary. Somebody controlling everything you do..who you marry, when you die, and the cruellest thing is that you would be too afraid about being downgraded and humiliated to actually do something about it. I would hate to put my family, or anyone, through that. 


Cassia was a very observant character. Her thoughts was authentic and stood out in the world she lives in, when you think about how unreal the Society is. The narrative is quite slow-paced, but the twists and turns in the story are more than enough to make up for that. I enjoyed the romance element of the plot, the love triangle was interesting..it doesn't intrude too much with the story, but there's a lot of detail surrounding the two male characters who are, well 'competing' you could say, for the protagonist's love. It was clear that Cassia had a strong bond with both Xander and Ky, that each was totally different from the other, but you can't help thinking about which one she should *really* be with. It's hard to choose, I really liked both of them.


The story is powerful, emotional and very enticing. Condie's writing was breathtaking. The dystopian world she has created shows off one that is original and full of curiosity, as well as being something so utterly repulsive. I'm pretty sure Matched will be a big hit with fans of The Hunger Games and Uglies Trilogies, as well people who have yet to taste dystopian fiction.
Cover comments:
I ADORE this. The green on the dress so gorgeous and I wish I had my very own sample of it like Cassia did! The whole 'trapped' by The Society's rule thing is great, especially with the circle/sphere-shaped thingy she's sitting in. I *must* get myself a US hardcopy, I've heard they are quite a beauty!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great!
    I love the sound of Cassia ;))
    This plot kinda reminds me of Delirium, your matched with who you'll live with etc. ANd I loved Delirium, so this sounds great!
    Fantastic review, I love how detailed it is xx

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home