Monday, November 29, 2010

DisCover #1

I'm happy to finally bring you the first edition of my new cover feature, DisCover! Every Monday I'll be highlighting 3-4 books covers where you can ooh and aah as much as you like in the comments box!


You all know how much I DEVOUR pretty book covers, and I thought, Waiting on Wednesday just isn't going to cut it, so I should introduce a feature where I smother you with covers ;)


I held a quick contest for the name last week, and Cat suggested DisCover a Cover, which I LOVED. But it was a bit of a mouthful having to say cover twice (sorry!), so I shortened it to DisCover..like it? Bonus pints to Cat for being the first comentee as well ;)



Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma


Chloe’s older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can’t be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby’s friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. 

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home two years later, a precarious and deadly balance waits. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood. 

Imaginary Girls is a masterfully distorted vision of family reminiscent of Shirley Jackson, laced with twists that beg for their secrets to be kept.


This is just wow. I'd actually just buy this without looking at the synopsis. Hell, I'd buy it for the cover alone and frame it on my bedroom wall!!! It's so..peaceful, yet it holds so much tension. I did some digging around and I found the artist's website and the original photograph! Birthday present?


Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.

Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?



I'm a big fan-girl of Alyxandra Harvey's Drake Chronicles and I'm so excited she's writing another book ABOUT GHOSTS! There's something really eerie about this cover, I think the expression on the cover model's face is perfect. The purpley-bluey colour is lovely, and okay, I admit it, I have a thing for WATER on covers. o.O


The Revenant by Sonia Gensler

When Willie arrives in Indian Territory, she knows only one thing: no one can find out who she really is. To escape a home she doesn't belong in anymore, she assumes the name of a former classmate and accepts a teaching job at the Cherokee Female Seminary.

Nothing prepares her for what she finds there. Her pupils are the daughters of the Cherokee elite—educated and more wealthy than she, and the school is cloaked in mystery. A student drowned in the river last year, and the girls whisper that she was killed by a jealous lover. Willie's room is the very room the dead girl slept in. The students say her spirit haunts it.



Willie doesn't believe in ghosts, but when strange things start happening at the school, she isn't sure anymore. She's also not sure what to make of a boy from the nearby boys' school who has taken an interest in her—his past is cloaked in secrets. Soon, even she has to admit that the revenant may be trying to tell her something...



There's definitely a theme here. Have you spotted it yet? That shade of blue is stunning! And it looks gorgeous on top of that picture. I love how the bottom half is weaved in with the water (at least I think it's water).

What do you think?

♥Iffath

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful covers for a beautiful new feature! :) I like the name you picked too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are some awesome covers there - I will have to track them down

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for Imaginary Girls! It really grabs your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DisCover is a great title! Wish I had come up with it myself.
    I totally wanna read Imaginary Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Haunting Violet cover is great.
    And LOVE the name, well done Cat ;))

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home