Monday, October 11, 2010

REVIEW: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Pages: 448
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 5th October 2009
Paperback.  

From Amazon
Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack.n summer, he has a few precious months to be human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever.

When I finished Shiver I remember the exact three words I said immediately after I'd closed the book: Oh. My. God. I'd just started reading (and obsessing over) YA fiction and this was (and is) one of my favouritest books EVER. I was really feeling the werewolf love back then- I mean, who DOESN'T?!!!!! Maggie Stiefvater is on of the most amazingest authors in the world and I think I might be in love with her a little bit. 

I don't know to translate all these random, muddled up thoughts inside my head and put them here, so um, excuse me of my review doesn't make sense. (Q: Do they ever make sense?!)

Grace is seventeen. Six years ago, Grace was attacked by a pack of wolves in the woods, which are close to her home. During the attack, Grace finds herself focusing her attention onto one particular wolf; a wolf with strange, yellow eyes, the wolf who saved her. Ever since, Grace has watched the wolf from a distance. While he watches her. What Grace is unaware of though, is that her wolf has a name: Sam. And when summer arrives, and only then, Sam and the other wolves have a human body. Grace begins to obsess over the wolves and wonders about the mysterious boy with those striking yellow eyes...

The story follows Grace and what happens as she finally meets her wolf in his human form; as well as an action-packed sub-plot that interfere's with Grace and the safety of the wolves.

Maggie's word illustrate the novel beautifully. I just love how she describes the wolves, you can just imagine them, imagine reaching out to them! The scenery is picturesque, and the the fact that Grace lives on the edge of the woods is ideal for what she has in mind.
Stiefvater's style of writing is lyrical and touching, and I admire her hugely for that - a sign of a truly great writer. Sam is portrayed as a tortured soul who thirst for a sliver of happiness, and just when he's found it, he has to risk death to hold onto it. Grace is sweet, and outgoing and to put it plainly, damn awesome

There is such stunning realism displayed. Sam and Grace's relationship is an array of such insight and allure. Behind the complicating situation they are in, you can clearly see how incredible the two characters really are, how they don't deserve all of this, and how much they need to be together. It literally makes my heart break to just think about what's happening to them. 

Grace and Sam's struggle to stay together, to fight the cold that threatens to separate then is deeply moving. You can practically feel the emotions zooming around inside their heads.

Shiver combines the supernatural and romance in a very clever way. The forbidden love, the family anguish, all just elements that makes this the captivating novel it is. The novel has an unusual air of mystery to it, it just hangs over, and I can't quite put my finger over what it is, but whatever it is is bewitching. This is such an unusual take on werewolves, it's enthralling and highly unforgettable and Stiefvater has created a realistic world that draws you in and let's you share its existence and I promise you, you won't want to leave. 

Watch out for my review of Linger coming soon! 


♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home