Saturday, October 16, 2010

REVIEW: My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares

My Name is Memory
Author: Ann Brashares
Pages: 416
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
Publication Date: 24th June 2010
Paperback.

From Amazon
Daniel tells me that he's always loved me. That I feel the same. That I always have.Not just in this life, but in my last life, and all my lives before.
But I don't remember him.
He says he is always searching for me. Always hoping that one day I will remember. But it is only he that carries the memory of our love.
I know that finding true love is never easy. Perhaps you have fought for it. Perhaps, like Daniel, you have endured the pain of it being unrequited.
But I hope your quest ends happily.
I hope you never have to face the heartbreak that inevitably awaits us.
This is our extraordinary, unforgettable story.

I've been a fan of Ann Brashares since the first time I picked up the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I love the reality she manages to keep throughout all her stories, and her latest proves no exception.

Daniel's soul has been reincarnated again and again over time, but unlike most people, he still remembers a lot of the details of his past lives. Then there's a girl; a girl with the same soul in different shapes and forms, a girl who Daniel falls in love with more than once throughout his many lives. But in each life, the relationship between the two is destined for trouble. Daniel has found Lucy once more, can he change things this time for both for them? 

All the historical detail behind Daniel's previous lives are very intriguing, and I really felt that his character was well portrayed and very entertaining. The only downside is we never find out a huge amount about Lucy in all her past lives, so the bond feels a bit angled towards Daniel sometimes. It would have been more engaging if we got to learn a bit more about Lucy's back story and what it was exactly that made her so special. 


The story is quite a heavy one, it's a quite a lot to take in on some parts and you find it a bit hard to keep up, but it's very fascinating nonetheless.
This a really interesting take on the subject of past lives, reincarnation and bringing memories from one lifetime to another.


Another thing that really frustrated me: THE ENDING! Cliffhanger, much?! There is a letter from Daniel at the end, but we never really find out if he returns, or if Lucy is left waiting?! It's highly possible there will be a sequel. I hope there is because I might just have to read it to find out what happens next!!

Trailer


♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home