Thursday, September 23, 2010

REVIEW: The Splendour Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore

The Splendour Falls
Author: Rosemary Clement-Moore
Pages: 528
Publisher: Random House Doubleday
Publication Date: 28th January 2010
Paperback.  

From Amazon


Sylvie Davies is a ballerina who can’t dance. A broken leg ended her career, but what broke her heart was her father’s death, and what’s breaking her spirit is her mother’s remarriage. Still reeling Sylvie is shipped off to stay with relatives in the back of beyond. Or so she thinks, in fact she ends up in a town rich with her family’s history . . . and as it turns out her family has a lot more history than Sylvie ever knew. More unnerving, though, are the two guys she can’t stop thinking about. Shawn Maddox, the resident golden boy, is the expected choice. But handsome and mysterious Rhys has a hold on her that she doesn’t quite understand Then Sylvie starts seeing things – a girl by the lake and a man with dark unseeing eyes peering in through the window . . . Sylvie’s lost nearly everything - is she starting to lose her mind as well?

I read The Splendour Falls back in May and although the synopsis sounded like something I would definitely read and enjoy, what I actually read was something MUCH more different. To put it shortly, it was something I would definitely and happily read over and over again and still feel the same way about it, total adoration! 


Sylvie Davis has spent all her seventeen years of life as a ballerina. Her whole life revolves around dancing, until one fateful night; a devastating accident later and her leg is left severely broken and all her dreams of becoming a professional dancer have been crushed. Her mother decides that the best thing for her is to send her to spend her summer with her cousin. In a place drowning in family history, secrets, and superstition.


It was a highly unpredictable storyline, and I felt eager to read on everytime I had to stop. There was so much detail involved which was really interesting because it helped me to really get into the story and understand everything that was going on. I liked how there was lots of different things that are confusing when you first read them, but it all pieces together and makes totally sense when you have finished reading.

I absolutely loved Sylvie's character. She was very determined, intelligent, and seemed so independent for a seventeen year old. She was mature and very much a refreshing change from the many girls who would fall head over heels for these two dudes who are obviously quite into her. I didn't trust Shawn at all. Really, I know that is hard to believe. He was very creepy, and I always suspected something would go wrong when he was around. I liked Rhys though, he was very real. And I found myself reading intensely (I was going to say listening carefully!) everytime he spoke. He was just so damn fascinating! - that isn't meant to be sarcastic, by the way. I liked how genuine his relationship with Sylvie was and his attitude towards her. He was a great character and when when his secret was uncovered I was caught totally off guard!


It's quite a long book at just over 500 pages, and is quite slow-paced which I actually quite enjoyed, as I usually like to read books with more of a faster pace. But if you don't like reading slower-paced books, I'd still highly recommend it because it is extremely well written and has a fantastic paranormal element which fitted gracefully with the plot. 

The Splendour Falls has to be one of my favourite reads of the year. It is a chilling novel brimming with intrigue and deceit. Dark and gothic, it will have you wanting more all the time, and won't fail to please the hardest readers.

Cover Comments.
The cover is absolutely gorgeous. It is so..indulgent! The purple on the cover is so rich, especially as there is a rose on the cover, and I just love looking at it! 


Buy this book.
Visit the author's website.
Visit the book's website.


♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one. I have had it on my shelf for quite a while but haven't had the time to read it. I think I will have to make time now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed. I loved this book - the lead male is Welsh. How could I not love all the welsh mythology incorporated into the narrative :D
    Waves flag for Wales :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't love this one but there were things I did like. Glad you liked it better than I did.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home