Tuesday, August 31, 2010

REVIEW: Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shade
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
Pages: 320
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 2nd September 2010
Paperback.

From Amazon
Like everyone born after The Shift, sixteen year-old Aura can see and talk to ghosts. Persistent, and often angry, some even on the verge of becoming Shades, these violet-hued spirits are constantly talking to her, following her, and demanding her help to make amends for their untimely deaths. Aura has always found this mysterious ability annoying and wished she could find a way to reverse it. She'd much rather the ghosts left her alone so she could spend time with her boyfriend, Logan. But when Logan dies suddenly and unexpectedly, Aura is forced to reconsider her connections with the dead...and, the living. Surely a violet-hued spirit Logan is better than no Logan at all, isn't it? And things are complicated further when new exchange student, Zachary, is paired with Aura for a class project researching the 'Shift phenomenon'. Zach is so understanding - and so very alive. His support and friendship means more to Aura than she cares to admit. And, as Aura's relationships with both the dead, and the living, become more complicated, so do her feelings for both Logon and Zach. Each holds a piece of her heart...and clues to the secret of the shift.

*Please ignore the fact that the review is not properly structured. Lol. It's more like a random post with my thoughts about the book tossed everywhere ;D

Shade is the best paranormal romance I've read this year. Ghosts are a part of the supernatural world we don't see very much and when you read Shade, you'll wish there were more.

First of all, have you read the summary? The premise seems quite complex, but it's simple when you read a few chapters. Did you know there are more to ghosts than the ones we used to watch on Scooby Doo. These guys don't just go "Ooooooooohh!" in a scary voice at us, oh no, they are much scarier. Have you ever had a ghost try to say something to you besides "Get out of my houseeeee!"? Gahh, these guys just mope around with droopy looks (not really) on their faces and some of them even turn bad. Like, bad-bad. Maybe ven evi-bad.

In this novel, people born after the Shift have the ability to see and communicate with ghosts. Sounds cool, but Aura seems to think otherwise. Though not too pleased with her ability, Aura is thankful for the ability when it appears it's possible for her to see Logan again.

There was a part after Logan died when he disappeared for a while. I liked how the author structured this so we get to follow Aura for a while be herself, which helped us get to know her a little bit more.

I liked Aura. Smith-Ready's character development is fantastic. She was strong and passionate and I really sympathised with her from the start of the book. Her pain, her anger, her determination to find out more about the Shift felt so real to me. I felt so close to her. Like she was my best friend or something like that. I also loved how she was so..so..

Logan sounded like a really fun character! It was a pity when he died, but it was his own stupid fault for not thinking about the people he cared for and the consequences what he did would make. Le sigh :(
Despite already knowing that Logan was going to die (the silly boy), I felt quite emotional when he actually did die. And even though he was still going to 'be around' it was very very very sad. I could see how much pain Aura was in, it was quite obvious. But there was so many other feelings surrounding the pain; the loss, the grief and the anger, which was expertly portrayed.

I loved Zachary. I loved how he let Aura be her own person. He never pressured her, and I liked how he gave her her own space and seemed so genuine towards her. Their (Aura and Zachary's) connection was compelling and I'm looking forward to see how their relationship progresses. Also, I loved his Scottish accent and phrases!!!!!

I loved how the characters were still fresh in my head waaayy after I'd finished the book.
The world Jeri has created is very convincing , the ghost felt so realistic and the Shift was something that really fascinated me.
I love how I nearly cried at the events of the book, even though I hardly never cry when I read books.

Shade was haunting, endearing, and fresh. I was impressed with the flow of the story, the unique characters and the interesting world that was created.
I'd suggest you read it if you like books that contain wowness, ghosts and the ultimate: beeeoooteefull Scottish accents.


The open ending (like the last word, it was wow) made me realise that there would HAVE to be a sequel. Watch out for Shift coming out in Spring 2011. Which is bad-bad, because I need to read it so badly.



♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Wow, if you thought it was that good it *must* be worth reading! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay. I have to read it then! :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home