Monday, August 30, 2010

REVIEW: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen by Lauren Kate
Pages: 464
Publisher: Doubleday Children's Books
Publication Date: 10th December 2009
Paperback.


From Amazon
What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours? 17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross ...only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart. Some angels are destined to fall... 


I read this back in March and have just finished reading it again to refresh my memory, so please bear with me if anything sounds a bit odd.


I fell in love with the cover on Fallen, and I won't rant about that because I know that it's already been ranted about, like, a million times so I won't bore you because I am nice like that.


One minor flaw Fallen had was that it started quite slow. I tried not to let it put me off because as I started read (properly), I noticed that the words showed every motion Luce was going through and that was just something quite extraordinary. Plus the unexpected twist at the end made up for the pace. It took my breath away and that was when I knew the book would have potential. Angels are a supernatural being that have never failed to to interest me, and the Angels portrayed here didn't disappoint.


For as long as she can remember, Lucinda has seen these things she calls 'shadows'; black blobs of utter darkness that swoosh around her. They frighten Luce, and having admitted what she's been seeing at a young age, it resulted in trips to a specialized psychiatrist, drugs, and most recently she has found herself in a reform boarding school for troubled teenagers- the last straw after what seems to be an unexpected and confusing tragedy. And the analysis of her little problem was never even mentioned.


Luce has no clue as to what happened to Trevor (the boy who died in the 'tragedy'), and she can't help but feel guilty for his death. Was it her fault? Do the shadows have anything to do with it?
Anyhow, Luce is now pretending that she doesn't see the shadows any more thus fighting off the evil medication. But at the Sword and Cross, Luce's mind has been taken over by the two boys she has spotted: there's Cam with his beautiful green eyes who can't seem to keep away from her. And then there's Daniel, the boy with the (awesome) hair who she can't seem to keep away from, because somewhere deep down, Luce feels like she somehow knows Daniel from somewhere, but she can't seem to put her finger on it. Pity Daniel doesn't feel the same way.


I was completely sucked into Luce's world. Kate's writing is highly descriptive and ables you to picture everything going on in the book..*shivers* especially those 'Reds'... Her style was fresh and I hope this writing style will continue in Torment. I could feel the connection between Luce and Daniel throughout the story which was good. It was easy to imagine what Luce was going through when she started at Sword and Cross, it's something that everybody goes through - not knowing how things work and habing to make new friends - one of the hardest things a person has to do. She does make mistakes along the way, and you do feel the need to shout at her when she is doing the wrong thing but that;'s what teenagers do. I loved the way Luce sounded so real in that context, smart and independent, her characteristics just made her more easier to relate to.


Daniel was beautifully displayed, I thought. He was mysterious and I liked that because most male characters are anything but that nowadays. The writer has formed his beauty amongst the words and I really admire Daniel's character. Cam was cute, but kind of creepy, I have to admit! He just kept pushing Luce and sounded a bit desperate to me. He was always *there*. Both were fantastic though, regardless of their ways!


I think there were some parts that weren't explained as much as I'd like them to be. For example: Trevor's death. There wasn't much detail surrounding that, and each time it came up, I felt like it was put off for some reason. Do you know what I mean? Like, 'let's change the subject now' - I would've liked to have known a little bit more about it, especially as it's the main reason Luce was forced to attend Sword and Cross.


Fallen was a great paranormal romance, full of intensity and suspense, and the odd tampered-with camera or two ;) Thanks to Random House for sending me this!


Buy this book.
Visit the author's website.
Visit the book's website.



♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Angels are a big thing right now, and this seems to be one of the books that started that theme ;)
    Pity about the detail with Trevor's death, but glad you overall enjoyed it, I can't wait to read this [hopefully]!
    -Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Check out the TORMENT trailer on YouTube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHtnhIhWL8

    In the interests of full disclosure, I am getting the word out for Random House.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home