Monday, July 26, 2010

REVIEW: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Pages: 288
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 3rd June 2010
Paperback.

From Amazon
Everything that happened this past summer, and every summer before it, has all led up to this. To now. Every year Isabel spends a perfect summer at her family friends’ house. There’s the swimming pool at night, the private stretch of sandy beach . . . and the two boys. Unavailable, aloof Conrad – who she’s been in love with forever – and friendly, relaxed Jeremiah, the only one who’s ever really paid her any attention. But this year something is different. They seem to have noticed her for the first time. It’s going to be an amazing summer – and one she’ll never forget...

Ever since she was born, every year, Isabel 'Belly', her mother, and her brother Steven go to the beach house to spend time with her (not quite) aunt (mum's best friend), Susannah, and her two sons Jeremiah and Conrad. They treat her as if she's just their little sister, but this summer everything's about to change, as Belly finds out what it's like to be noticed.


Her mother and Susannah are being awfully secretive. And what happened to the Conrad Belly has known all her life? The one she has had a crush on since, for ever? In his place is a moody teenager; who has quit the football team, isolates himself in his bedroom, and is being the mysterious boy he never was. While Jeremiah remains his gorgeous, sensitive self, unaffected by his environment, and eager to have fun.


I LOVED this book!!! I remember when I first heard about it, it was a really long time ago, when it first came out in the US, and I've been waiting to read it ever since, so it wasn't a surprise when I finished it in one sitting!

I loved how Belly grew up spending her summers at Cousins' beach. And I can't even begin to imagine her patience, growing up with the guy she has always wanted to notice her. The Summer I Turned Pretty captures so many beautiful moments, it’s a story that I think a lot of people will be able to relate to, a story all about summer romances, adventure, to discover the real you.

The characters in the novel are the kind that you can automatically connect with. You feel like you know them, shouting at them for making the wrong decisions, smiling with them when they make the right ones. Belly was just a fantastic character. She had the strength to persevere and keep trying in everything she wanted to do, I found that it appeared a very interesting quality in her. I liked watching her grow up, the little memories of her past were effective, realistic and engaging. I thought Cam was a fab, fresh guy. He was really sweet and kind about Belly, showing genuine interest in her and I would've liked to see some more of him and to have a bit more insight about him.

The novel had such a summery, warm, fun flavour to it, it had me wanting to read more when it was finished, and now I'm really looking forward to the next installment, It's Not Summer Without You, which is already out in the US but not in the UK yet! I'm really tempted to buy the US copy, but then my books wouldn't match and I'd have to buy the first one too, and then I would be totally money-less! That book better come out soon! :)

Buy this book.
Visit the author's website.
Visit the book 's website

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. You know what I think about this so I'm not going to open my mouth and argue, but I'm glad you enjoyed this so much better than I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually loved this one too. There's something so perfect about it. I might just give in and get a US copy of the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home