Tuesday, July 20, 2010

REVIEW: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Pages: 224
Publisher: Doubleday Children's Books (Random House)
Publication Date: 7th May 2009
Paperback. 

From Amazon
'Just listen,' Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel. I open my eyes wide now. I sit up as much as I can. And I listen. 'Stay,' he says. Everybody has to make choices. Some might break you. For seventeen-year-old Mia, surrounded by a wonderful family, friends and a gorgeous boyfriend decisions might seem tough, but they're all about a future full of music and love, a future that's brimming with hope. But life can change in an instant. A cold February morning ...a snowy road ...and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one. As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all. Gripping, heartrending and ultimately life-affirming, "If I Stay" will make you appreciate all that you have, all that you've lost - and all that might be.  

If I Stay starts off with a nonchalant chapter where we meet Mia, and are presented with the devoted relationship that she has with her family. They're off for a chilled day out in the light snow, arguing about what to listen to, laughing at the light teasing going on..the normal stuff when you're all squashed together in a car on a long journey. Everything is just perfect, until the tragic car accident. Mia is left all alone, staring at her own defenseless body, and the remains of her beloved family; she also finds she is in some kind of in-between Limbo place, where she can see, hear, and touch all the things around her, but she's not really there, doesn't feel anything, and it hurts. A lot.

But now Mia has to decide, becuase one split second can change everything. She is the one in control, it's hard, her decisions have been reduced, and she has to choose: life...or death.

I've heard lots of people talking about this book, and there are lots of really good reviews, so I thought I would definitely check it out! I have to say that the characters in this book are very convincing and true-to-life; Mia was just so incredible, I praise Forman so highly for creating a character who is just..literally awe-inspiring. We get to learn about her love for her cello, and her amazing gift for music. Everything is so honest, so gently written which really makes this book work.er every thought, every sorrow, every ounce of emotion which leads to the ultimate choice - whether she was to stay or to let go - builds this book to be a compelling, reflective read.

Combined together with flashbacks and precious memories, Forman has created such a wondrous story, that the most subtlest words make you shiver with excitement.


This beautiful novel is astonishingly gripping, realistic, sincere, and at. Forman has delivered a poignant story, a totally phenomenal book that I know shall stay with me for a long time :)

Also, didn't you find Adam amazing?! Or was that just me? The bond between Mia and Adam was just so tight! Their love for music the very distinctive soul of their relationship. Adam's feelings towards Mia are depicted very powerfully. Everything he did was so sweet, I could tell that he really cared about Mia, and I didn't think he could love her anymore than he already did, but he was constantly showering her with affection, and I couldn't help admiring his devotion, so very romantic, and touching. Adam.<3

A sequel is coming soon you'll be happy to know! It's called 'Where She Went' <- this will definitely look awesome beside my copy of If I Stay ;)

Buy this book.
Visit the author's website.
Visit the book 's website.

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. i loved your review girl! i was completely blown away by this book to glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can NOT wait for the sequel, I tear up just thinking about it......

    Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home