Thursday, February 25, 2010

REVIEW: My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

My Love Lies Bleeding (Hearts at Stake in the USA)
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Pages: 256
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Publication Date: 4th January 2010
Paperback

From Amazon
The Blakes are rather different to your usual neighbours. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen. Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire? Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer.


I don't really even need to say it, but you've all grasped the fact that I'm really into all this paranormal stuff! Vampires, Angels, Zombies, you name it, I love it!

When I first found out I was getting a review copy of this, I was a bit uninterested because I thought this sounded, to be honest,  quite weird and not something I would usually read and/or enjoy..but I was proven wrong! So, so wrong. My Love Lies Bleeding was the perfect mix of mystery, action, danger, romance, and history too (which I'm not too much of a fan of, but it really worked!).

I loved the characters- Lucy was just so funny, confident and fearless, and the hilarious comebacks that she had for the Drake brothers and Kieran were just amazing! Solange was more natural and relaxed, a fab contrast between the two, especially as they both narrate the story.  And the seven brothers thing was so hilarious! SEVEN super-talented, good-looking vampires! I don’t know why I found this so funny, but seriously, there was just this whole macho 'I'm-bigger-and-better-and-hotter-than-you' thing going on, but it was sweet, too, because Solange had all these brothers who would do anything to protect her. And Helena, their mega-awesome tough-bones mother! What can I say, she was amazing! My favourite character in the whole book, she was just so kick-ass and bad!

I really enjoyed the plot of this book. I thought the background information on the Drake family was really interesting, as well as some of the historical (vampire) contexts. A lively, entertaining read from a talented debut author :)
I look forward to the second installment in the Drake Chronicles, Blood Feud, which is being released in the UK on 5th July 2010! :D 

A huge thanks to Emma Bradshaw at Bloomsbury Children's Books for sending me this review copy.


♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Great review, I really cant wait to read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good book and I adore the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home